Wednesday, January 8, 2014

How I Beat Eskom - No more ripping me off!

This is not only an article for people of Cape Town, but people of all corners of South Africa.
When I applied for Eskom to connect electricity from the electrical point on my yard to my house (about 30m) I was in shock when I finaly got the quotation about two weeks later. R17000.00 

Yes you read right, R17000.00. That was only for the connection and I was quoted another R575.00 per month for availability. That is a whopping R23900.00 for my first year without even turning on a light!  A lady about 3km from me is paying R100.00 per month availability. That to me was an eye opener on how Eskom could do and please as they seem fit. Why charge one person R575.00 per month and another R100.00 per month for availability in the same area?

I started to investigate Solar Panels. When I got quotations I was shocked to see what people charged and learned that there is a great demand for Solar Electricity.

So I did some homework and got myself Two Solar panels, Two Inverters, 6 Deep Cycle Batteries and a charger Controller.  I connected the batteries in parallel and that's it.

I now watch my Smart TV, run 14 11w lights and never turn my modem and Desktop Pc off. And my kid watches TV and play on his Xbox in his room.
Yes, I had to make some changes like getting myself a gas stove and gas geyser, but other than that we run a normal house hold without Eskom's ridiculous charges.

The Solar Panels comes with a 25 year guarantee and the deep cycle batteries should last 3 to 5 years.
 
You can easily add more batteries should you require more amps to run more apps..

The cost?  R12800.00

Feel free to leave a comment or to share this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment